Tuesday, January 6, 2009

GTT Today

So today was my Glucose Tolerance Test. I had to fast for 12 hours before starting the test this morning, so I had my last bowl of ice cream at 8pm last night (rather ceremoniously, in case it turns out I have Gestational Diabetes).

So I went into Quest this morning, and was promptly handed the dreaded "orange drink" (pictured). Everyone makes this stuff out to be sooo bad... while I wouldn't choose to drink it every day, I found it "tolerable" (pun intended). The only thing I can equate it to is when your freez-e pop melts in its plastic sleeve, leaving you with cold gooey orange syrup. That's what it tasted like.

Then, I was told that I only had 5 minutes to drink 10 ounces of said drink. This didn't seem like it was'nt going to be a problem until I had only finished half of it in 4 minutes. So I had to plug my nose and chug the rest. Then we wait... one hour and 3 editions of PARENTS magazine later, it was finally time to draw some blood.

So they needed a mere three tubes this time, one for the GTT, and two for a CBC and anemia panel. So hopefully they will either call me with my results in a few days, or tell them to me at my next appointment on Tuesday.

These make me laugh...




No comments: